Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A seam with the raw edges enclosed.
- ‘I decided I was going to use French seams for the seam finish, it gives a nice look and contains the fraying.’
- ‘My current favorites are the French seam, the flat-felled seam, and the aforementioned serging.’
- ‘Because I did French seams on the side seams, all my fabric was folded one way and I now wanted to fold each seam allowance differently.’
- ‘Finish the seams by creating a French seam.’
- ‘We favour raw edges contrasting with perfectly finished French seams.’
- ‘Use a French seam to sew the sheer side panels to either side of the center panel.’
- ‘I could complete a neat French seam.’
- ‘If I do a French seam, do I sew the front and back together first.’
- ‘They also learn how to do the French seams, without having to have too much wine.’
- ‘Sew the bodice front to the backs at the shoulders, using a French seam as shown below.’
- ‘A French seam is made when two pieces of fabric are sewn with the wrong sides together.’
- ‘Discover precision sewing techniques for a range of seam finishes, including overcasting, French seams, mock French seams, flat fell seams, bias bound seams, underlined wrap seams and more.’
- ‘Fold the middle panels in so that the bottom panel can be glued to the top panel making a French seam as you did in step 4.’
- ‘The use of French seams insures that all seams are beautifully finished with no visible raw edges, and all seams are double stitched, which adds strength and durability.’
- ‘I favor French seams but if you have a serger, then a rolled edge finish will create a very fine seam.’
- ‘I also had decided this time that I would finish the seams as French seams and not use the flat fell.’
- ‘When you've finished that, you've got a French seam, which is sturdy enough in itself, but I find the resulting band of fabric irritating.’
- ‘I have developed a modified version of a French seam that results in a very durable seam and is also very aesthetically pleasing.’
- ‘One of my apprentices has never really gotten the hang of French seams but really likes flat-felled seams.’
- ‘A few seam finishes such as the French seam, the flat-fell seam, and purchased seam finishes are useful for sheers and reversible garments.’
French seam/ˌfrenCH ˈsēm/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.