One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A salad dressing of vinegar, oil, and seasonings.
- ‘It is also used in soups, salads, sauces, egg dishes, French dressings and in a butter sauce for chicken.’
- ‘I wouldn't have salad that had been within five feet of French dressing before.’
- ‘Some French dressings have 180 calories and 12 fat grams in each 2-tablespoon serving, but mine has only 57 calories and 3.9 fat grams.’
- ‘This section is dedicated to making your salads a lively affair, from basic French dressings to the classic avocado dips.’
- ‘What we've got now is a place to go to dinner where you can order seafood soup glistening with sea cucumbers while your date has a nice filet mignon and a salad with some homemade French dressing.’
- ‘Shannon makes her favorite French dressing ahead, but guests can also create their own dressings from a selection of oils and vinegars at the salad end of the bar.’
- ‘Our complaint was well handled, and another salad arrived without dressing, though a classic French dressing would probably have solved the problem.’
- ‘After chopping the cooked potatoes, toss them in French dressing.’
- ‘The first one is a French dressing you will want to keep handy in the refrigerator.’
- ‘I ordered chicken fried steak, green beans, mashed potatoes and a chef salad with French dressing and a Diet Coke.’
- ‘There are other dressings, such as mayonnaise, salad dressings, and homogenized French dressings, in which much finer spice particles are desired.’
- 1.1North American A sweet, creamy salad dressing commercially prepared from oil, tomato puree, and spices.
- ‘On the side are shredded iceberg, two big tomato slices, a plastic ramekin of bright orange vinaigrette that's less sweet than French dressing, and a pile of fries.’
- ‘Remember the French dressing and tomato sauce this week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.