One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A refrigerated compartment, cabinet, or room for preserving food at very low temperatures.
- ‘This means having food ready in the freezer to whip out and reheat, or dishes that can be made in advance and kept warm.’
- ‘He was eating a frozen pizza that was still preserved by the freezer's cold temperatures.’
- ‘Refrigerators and freezers more than five years old contain gases known as chlorofluorocarbons which damage the ozone layer.’
- ‘Varied combinations of refrigerators and freezers come in tall units or drawers.’
- ‘Oil gas and other gaseous hydrocarbons, crude aluminium, refrigerators, freezers and fertilisers top the list of imports from Romania.’
- ‘The lack of fridges and freezers meant food was bought and cooked fresh daily.’
- ‘He said that during the incident, the temperature in the freezer rose above normal levels for a short time.’
- ‘Fridges, freezers, cookers, washing machines and tumble dryers are all badly needed by Sligo County Council.’
- ‘For grafts intended to be stored in refrigerators or freezers, 24-hour, seven-day-a-week temperature monitoring must be maintained and documented.’
- ‘The generator is needed to keep the store's freezers, chiller cabinets and tills going in the event of a grid failure.’
- ‘Storage freezers and refrigerators should be on an emergency power system.’
- ‘After water heaters and air conditioners, refrigerators and freezers are the next biggest household power-gluttons.’
- ‘Her brother saw her twice in his basement, watching him as he grabbed food from the freezer.’
- ‘Stem samples with buds were frozen to different temperatures in a controlled freezer and thawed overnight.’
- ‘Recycling is fast becoming the way to get rid of unwanted items which covers household things like washing machines, cookers, fridges and freezers that will all be taken there.’
- ‘Mrs Brogden said: ‘The freezers were full with food for the fun day and for the children due to stay with us over the coming weeks.’’
- ‘Thankfully, the alarm didn't go off and the food in the freezer seems to have stayed frozen.’
- ‘We can assure our customers that all the food in our freezers is perfectly fit to eat.’
- ‘All of the units have cookers, hobs, fridges, freezers, microwaves, dishwashers, washer-dryers, fitted wardrobes in the master bedroom and an alarm system.’
- ‘At the very least, blackouts disable heating and air-conditioning systems, freezers, refrigerators, water pumps and lighting.’
- 1.1 A device for making frozen desserts such as ice cream or sherbet.
- ‘Mix is then pumped into the computerized ice cream freezers, where it is whipped, injected with air, scraped with dashers and frozen.’
- ‘No ice-cream machine is required, only patience as your freezer works its magic.’
- ‘It has failed to uphold the exclusive tie-ups it has with Irish retailers to supply ice cream freezers.’
- ‘Pressed to pick the plant's most significant improvement, Diggory names the ice cream freezers and the cottage cheese operation.’
- ‘Soon the brothers learned how to run ice cream freezers and make ice cream mixes.’
- ‘Other equipment essential for authenticating plant trials such as ice cream freezers and margarine Votators are also available.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.