One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A refrigerated compartment, cabinet, or room for preserving food at very low temperatures.
- ‘The lack of fridges and freezers meant food was bought and cooked fresh daily.’
- ‘Refrigerators and freezers more than five years old contain gases known as chlorofluorocarbons which damage the ozone layer.’
- ‘At the very least, blackouts disable heating and air-conditioning systems, freezers, refrigerators, water pumps and lighting.’
- ‘The generator is needed to keep the store's freezers, chiller cabinets and tills going in the event of a grid failure.’
- ‘This means having food ready in the freezer to whip out and reheat, or dishes that can be made in advance and kept warm.’
- ‘Stem samples with buds were frozen to different temperatures in a controlled freezer and thawed overnight.’
- ‘Varied combinations of refrigerators and freezers come in tall units or drawers.’
- ‘Recycling is fast becoming the way to get rid of unwanted items which covers household things like washing machines, cookers, fridges and freezers that will all be taken there.’
- ‘Her brother saw her twice in his basement, watching him as he grabbed food from the freezer.’
- ‘He said that during the incident, the temperature in the freezer rose above normal levels for a short time.’
- ‘After water heaters and air conditioners, refrigerators and freezers are the next biggest household power-gluttons.’
- ‘Oil gas and other gaseous hydrocarbons, crude aluminium, refrigerators, freezers and fertilisers top the list of imports from Romania.’
- ‘All of the units have cookers, hobs, fridges, freezers, microwaves, dishwashers, washer-dryers, fitted wardrobes in the master bedroom and an alarm system.’
- ‘Mrs Brogden said: ‘The freezers were full with food for the fun day and for the children due to stay with us over the coming weeks.’’
- ‘Fridges, freezers, cookers, washing machines and tumble dryers are all badly needed by Sligo County Council.’
- ‘For grafts intended to be stored in refrigerators or freezers, 24-hour, seven-day-a-week temperature monitoring must be maintained and documented.’
- ‘We can assure our customers that all the food in our freezers is perfectly fit to eat.’
- ‘Storage freezers and refrigerators should be on an emergency power system.’
- ‘He was eating a frozen pizza that was still preserved by the freezer's cold temperatures.’
- ‘Thankfully, the alarm didn't go off and the food in the freezer seems to have stayed frozen.’
- 1.1 A device for making frozen desserts such as ice cream or sherbet.
- ‘Pressed to pick the plant's most significant improvement, Diggory names the ice cream freezers and the cottage cheese operation.’
- ‘No ice-cream machine is required, only patience as your freezer works its magic.’
- ‘Soon the brothers learned how to run ice cream freezers and make ice cream mixes.’
- ‘Other equipment essential for authenticating plant trials such as ice cream freezers and margarine Votators are also available.’
- ‘Mix is then pumped into the computerized ice cream freezers, where it is whipped, injected with air, scraped with dashers and frozen.’
- ‘It has failed to uphold the exclusive tie-ups it has with Irish retailers to supply ice cream freezers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.