Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Preserve (something) by rapidly freezing it and then subjecting it to a high vacuum that removes ice by sublimation.‘freeze-dried beef stew’
deep-freeze, quick-freeze, freeze-dry, put in the freezer, pack in ice, put on ice, iceView synonyms
- ‘The animal samples were freeze-dried and ground to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle or in a ball mill.’
- ‘We find a patch of dry ground, cook our last freeze-dried dinner, and build a campfire.’
- ‘The cores were freeze-dried and ground to a fine powder.’
- ‘I generally use freeze-dried herbs, at least 9 grams per day.’
- ‘The combined extracts were then freeze-dried and kept under vacuum to constant weight.’
- ‘These gourmet freeze-dried herbs offer the taste, aroma and vitamins of fresh herbs.’
- ‘Then it will take several months to freeze-dry the sections to remove the remaining water, but despite the wait the final result should look excellent.’
- ‘Is their experience diminished because they are encumbered with technologies such as ropes, pitons, and freeze-dried foods?’
- ‘Previously, only freeze-dried sperm from mice had been shown to support embryo development.’
- ‘Home-dried chives usually lack flavor; the commercial, freeze-dried product is better tasting.’
- ‘The sample for general chemical analysis was freeze-dried and ground to pass a 1-mm sieve.’
- ‘Other brains are freeze-dried in liquid nitrogen, stored in Tupperware or packed into freezers at - 80 degrees Celsius.’
- ‘Those rodents given a diet containing 2 percent freeze-dried spinach were much quicker at learning motor skill tasks than their cousins fed on everyday rat food.’
- ‘Idaho Technology offers high quality, freeze-dried, ready-to-use reagents for the detection and identification of pathogens and biothreat agents.’
- ‘These steaks have been freeze-dried to lock in the freshness of real meat.’
- ‘Likewise there may be freeze-dried microbes on Mars at the moment that came from Earth.’
- ‘This field material was also freeze-dried for further analysis.’
- ‘One source is the Just Tomatoes company which freeze-dries vegetables and fruits, with nothing added.’
- ‘We've heard about astronauts drinking Tang and eating freeze-dried ice cream.’
- ‘He suggested the consistency of the comet is something like freeze-dried astronaut ice cream.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.