One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small southern African plant of the iris family, with fragrant, colorful, tubular flowers, many varieties of which are cultivated for use by florists.
- ‘Add this to the wild freesias bursting into bloom among the sandhills and I have confirmation that the circle of life is unending and that the seeds of hope burst into life when the time and conditions are right.’
- ‘A typical posy bouquet includes roses, double-headed white freesias, foliage, and subtly coloured South African nuts and berries.’
- ‘Even the smallest bunch of freesias bought with carefully hoarded pocket money can provoke tears or pride and delight.’
- ‘Other local favorites for fall planting include freesias, Anemone coronaria, and rununculus.’
- ‘She handed me my bouquet of calla lilies, freesias, and irises.’
- ‘She carried a teardrop shower bouquet of ivory roses and carnations, with lilac freesias and trailing ivy.’
- ‘There is a wide variety to choose from, among which are freesias, ixias, sparaxis, lachenalia and Dutch Iris.’
- ‘The ultimate natural, romantic fragrance blends fruits like guava, papaya, passion fruit, and citrus, with a flowery bouquet of jasmine, freesia and marigold.’
- ‘But all I can do is bring freesias, your favourites, and lay them down where your head would be, and whisper, ‘Sorry.’’
- ‘I live in coastal Connecticut and have grown freesias a couple of times.’
- ‘The bride wore a full length fitted gown of white silk trimmed with white fur and carried a bouquet of white roses and freesia.’
- ‘The sugar content and dry weight of opening freesia florets was dramatically reduced when stems were reduced in length, indicating that the stem was a major source of carbohydrate.’
- ‘Guernsey is world famous for its top quality freesias which are produced all year round to supply your favourite flowers when you want them.’
- ‘The following year I had beautiful ‘mystery flowers’, which turned out to be freesia.’
- ‘The hints of rosemary, freesia, and Hawaiian wedding flower fill your mind with thoughts of a warm, sunny garden.’
- ‘Hidden in the back of the book under some grab-bag category like ‘exotics’ are freesia, sparaxis, watsonia, babiana, and the rest of the Cape bulbs (named after a former province of South Africa).’
- ‘Make sure freesias are planted in well drained soil.’
- ‘I still love the fresh scent: a mix of notes of freesia, marigold and white lily.’
- ‘I stomp outside, closing my eyes and breathing in the fresh air, scented with freesia and wisteria and hyacinths.’
- ‘I was surprised to discover that a large colony of wild freesias had established itself along the dunes at the entrance of the beach, and I spent some time among them, smelling and photographing.’
Modern Latin, named after Friedrich H. T. Freese (died 1876), German physician.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.