One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The right of merchant ships to move freely on the seas in peace or war without interference except in territorial zones.
- ‘To avoid any appearance of weakness and to assert traditional claims to freedoms of the seas, the Navy ordered the destroyer to resume operations and sent another in to support it.’
- ‘The establishment of rules that preserve access for all remains as much a public good today as in the 19th century, even though some of the issues are more complex and difficult than freedom of the seas.’
- ‘Rather, it must be defined in terms of systems, relationships, and objectives such as democracy, free trade, stability, and freedom of the seas.’
- ‘Yet while these conflicts served to expand the country, the fight with England was equally concerned with freedom of the seas for American vessels and in any event was opposed by much of the country.’
- ‘These were freedom of the seas, open access to markets and raw materials, and disarmament of aggressor nations pending the establishment of a permanent structure to assure world peace.’
- ‘Freedom is an important element in nostalgia, but the more the concept of freedom of the seas is examined, the more complex it becomes.’
- ‘Japan will have a much more robust military capability and, with the exception of not having a nuclear deterrent, will be more active in East Asian security affairs and maintaining freedom of the seas.’
- ‘It stipulated freely chosen governments, free trade, freedom of the seas, and disarmament of current aggressor states.’
- ‘The Navy maintains, trains and equips combat-ready naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and securing freedom of the seas.’
- ‘In time of peace, freedom of the seas cannot be restricted lawfully except by international agreements, such as those regulating fisheries or the right of visit and search.’
- ‘These included freedom of trade, freedom of the seas and respect for ‘the right of all peoples to choose the form of government under which they will live.’’
- ‘The others were characteristically Wilsonian - open covenants openly arrived at; free trade; self-determination; disarmament; impartial adjustment of colonial claims; freedom of the seas; and a league of nations.’
- ‘It was Europeans and the competition of their various states that invented freedom of the seas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.