One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The right to express any opinions without censorship or restraint.
- ‘A group filed suit against the university this summer, accusing the university of discriminating against them by setting admissions rules that violate their rights to freedom of speech and religion.’
- ‘Most governments, whether out of principle or political prudence, saw the need for some reforms of the franchise and some legal protection for freedom of speech and publication.’
- ‘The newspaper does not necessarily support the views of its columnists but we do support their right to freedom of speech.’
- ‘The proposal represented one of the worst assaults on the freedom of speech and association ever proposed in the United States.’
- ‘The human rights activist has used her elevated profile to urge the government to allow greater freedom of speech.’
- ‘A government that funds universities and respects freedom of speech, ought not to make funding conditional on viewpoint in any way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.