One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A march organized as a demonstration of protest against a political entity for its oppressive policies, which are often directed at a specific group such as a minority.
- ‘The Viet Nam war was making less sense, and many people were truly horrified by the images from the freedom marches of Selma and Birmingham.’
- ‘But the increasing involvement of women in freedom marches and, somewhat later, the protests of the Vietnam War give rise to a budding awareness of gender injustices.’
- ‘The curator is especially qualified to talk about African-American history, as she took part in the freedom marches and was clubbed and arrested on the Selma bridge.’
- ‘Many of these same songs became anthems of the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, their messages of faith and determination stoking freedom marches and rallies.’
- ‘Civil rights marchers wave American flags outside the Alabama state capitol at the end of their five day Selma to Montgomery freedom march.’
- ‘It was before the Civil Rights Act and freedom marches of the '60s.’
- ‘In addition to frequent imprisonments, Dr. King's painful experiences included the violent repression of freedom marches in Selma, Birmingham, and elsewhere, bombings of his home, and threats on his and his family's lives.’
- ‘In between are songs of recent history, many performed by the same artists who sang them 30 years ago in freedom marches.’
- ‘But I do remember those civil rights days when followers of Dr. Martin Luther King - meeting in churches, in outdoor rallies and conducting freedom marches - would sing: ‘We Shall Overcome.’’
- ‘When the administrators refuse, the students organize hunger-strikes in the school dining halls, mass meetings, and freedom marches in solidarity with Black citizens who are being denied the necessities of life.’
- ‘A representative case involves the freedom marches and picketing demonstrations which were characteristic of the civil rights movement of the 1960s.’
- ‘Mums and children carried banners through Gloucester Park on the ‘freedom march’ to the council offices on Saturday and chanted slogans in St Martin's Square.’
- ‘This day is also often celebrated with parades and freedom marches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.