An unimpeded attempt at a basket (worth one point) awarded to a player following a foul or other infringement.
- ‘Fouled shooters get two or three free throws and your players are eventually disqualified.’
- ‘Teams then were also able to designate one player to shoot all free throws.’
- ‘The clock will not stop on fouls and free throws during this time.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Ben Wallace missed two free throws after drawing a foul driving the baseline.’
- ‘Great players are supposed to shoot anywhere between six to nine free throws per game on average.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.