Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An inherited condition characterized by an X chromosome that is abnormally susceptible to damage, especially by folic acid deficiency. Affected individuals tend to be mentally handicapped.
- ‘In addition, an increased frequency of occurrence is noted in patients with genetic conditions such as fragile X syndrome and tuberous sclerosis.’
- ‘Carrier testing is also instigated by a positive family history such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy, fragile X syndrome, or certain chromosomal disorders.’
- ‘My siblings are affected by fragile X syndrome, a condition that causes their mental retardation and makes them hypersensitive to sounds and touch.’
- ‘Five years earlier, the man's five-year-old grandson had been diagnosed with fragile X syndrome.’
- ‘Such conditions include fragile X syndrome, neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis, Noonan's syndrome and Cornelia de Lange's syndrome.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.