One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Divide into fractions or components.
split, cut up, cleave, carve up, slice up, chop up, split upView synonyms
- ‘This is an equipment which fractionates proteins according to their isoelectric point.’
- ‘Two sets of samples were fractionated on 1.0% agarose gels and transferred to nylon membranes.’
- ‘The blood samples were fractionated and stored at - 80° C.’
- ‘Sap collection from one same leaf was fractionated into several samples of 15-80 mm volume that were immediately stored at - 80°C for subsequent analyses.’
- ‘Our fractograms show colloid size distributions with major peaks centered at 50 to 60 nm for samples that were size fractionated immediately following the preconcentration step.’
- 1.1 Separate (a mixture) by fractional distillation.
purify, refine, filter, treat, processView synonyms
- ‘The obtained extracts were fractionated by acetone precipitation.’
- ‘The resulting products were fractionated on an agarose gel.’
- ‘In this experiment, mitochondrial proteins were fractionated using a long gel, which allowed the separation of all major mitochondrial proteins.’
- ‘The extract is then carefully fractionated by chromatographic separation methods.’
- ‘Cell debris was removed by centrifugation, and the supernatant was fractionated by ammonium sulfate precipitation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.