One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Divide into fractions or components.
split, cut up, cleave, carve up, slice up, chop up, split upView synonyms
- ‘The blood samples were fractionated and stored at - 80° C.’
- ‘Our fractograms show colloid size distributions with major peaks centered at 50 to 60 nm for samples that were size fractionated immediately following the preconcentration step.’
- ‘This is an equipment which fractionates proteins according to their isoelectric point.’
- ‘Two sets of samples were fractionated on 1.0% agarose gels and transferred to nylon membranes.’
- ‘Sap collection from one same leaf was fractionated into several samples of 15-80 mm volume that were immediately stored at - 80°C for subsequent analyses.’
- 1.1 Separate (a mixture) by fractional distillation.
purify, refine, filter, treat, processView synonyms
- ‘Cell debris was removed by centrifugation, and the supernatant was fractionated by ammonium sulfate precipitation.’
- ‘The obtained extracts were fractionated by acetone precipitation.’
- ‘The resulting products were fractionated on an agarose gel.’
- ‘In this experiment, mitochondrial proteins were fractionated using a long gel, which allowed the separation of all major mitochondrial proteins.’
- ‘The extract is then carefully fractionated by chromatographic separation methods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.