One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Separation of a liquid mixture into fractions differing in boiling point (and hence chemical composition) by means of distillation, typically using a fractionating column.
- ‘This mixture (an azeotrope) is produced by fractional distillation and it is known as rectified spirit.’
- ‘Oil refining separates the various fractions of petroleum by a process called fractional distillation and takes place in a large plant called a refinery.’
- ‘The liquids in a mixture such as this can be separated by fractional distillation.’
- ‘However, in broad terms, petroleum can be divided into six fractions obtained from fractional distillation of the crude oil.’
- ‘Historically acetone was prepared by the destructive distillation of wood, followed by fractional distillation of the product.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.