One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A terrier of a short-haired or wire-haired breed originally used for unearthing foxes.
- ‘She also likes running and mountain biking and has a fox terrier named Daisy.’
- ‘According to my vet, South Africans' favourite dogs are the everyday brak, the Labrador, Maltese poodle, Alsatian, Staffie, fox terrier, Rottweiler, Jack Russell, ridgeback and the boxer.’
- ‘Terriers generally are happy, buoyant, and stubborn, and the fox terriers fit that bill quite well.’
- ‘There was nothing spectacular about the place where she'd been living, a condominium in west Los Angeles that she shared with her wire fox terrier, Jiggs.’
- ‘My dog had been trimmed and was battered looking, being a fox terrier it is possible that he was used as a fighting dog.’
- ‘Anyway they showed up in the filthiest old truck you've ever seen; peeling paint, balding tyres and a yapping fox terrier in the front.’
- ‘My parents' dog is a wire-haired fox terrier about eight years old.’
- ‘Every morning he walks his fox terriers, Ruby and Albert, in Battersea Park.’
- ‘There are two types of fox terrier, smooth haired and wire haired.’
- ‘She noted that on one site where remains of five dogs were found, three were ‘short-nosed, about fox terrier size’ - ideal for chasing rats out of their holes.’
- ‘On one occasion, a woman had her underclothes stolen by a fox terrier.’
- ‘Three newly-recognized AKC breeds competing for the first time are the Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever, German pinscher, and toy fox terrier.’
- ‘This woman bought a dog in Mexico, and they told her it was a Chihuahua, but when she brought it home, she discovered that in reality it was a wire-haired fox terrier!’
- ‘He was judged against a flat-coated retriever, a giant schnauzer, an Old English sheepdog, a wire fox terrier, a saluki hound and Pekingese toy dog.’
- ‘Alexandra is a fox terrier and needs special grooming for her coat, so I take her to the farmers' market on the King's Road, which is the best place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.