One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An official who assists the referee before, during, and after a match.
- ‘The fourth official saw nothing, the linesman saw nothing, but the referee saw something.’
- ‘Previously, fourth officials could observe, but not intervene during matches.’
- ‘Following the game, the fourth official apparently informed Dunfermline that the handball had been accidental.’
- ‘Hugh Dallas was fourth official at the World Cup final.’
- ‘Reddin was suspended for ignoring fourth official Brett Bowden's touchline instructions.’
- ‘The fourth official said he'd got it wrong.’
- ‘Widespread grumbling filled the Celtic Park bowl yesterday when the fourth official held up a board revealing four minutes of time to be added on.’
- ‘A fourth official would be better employed trackside with a TV monitor rather than jostling with coaches over toeing the line in the technical area.’
- ‘The incident, which initially went unnoticed by the referee but was pointed out by the fourth official, left Sauzee looking gutted.’
- ‘With the fourth official showing four minutes of additional time, Danny Murphy floated in a free-kick from the left which found Fenn on the far side of the box.’
- ‘The interval was longer than expected as the referee was replaced by the fourth official after pulling his calf muscle.’
- ‘By midway through the half he had his first argument with the fourth official about straying out of his area.’
- ‘It was perhaps merciful release for Wright-Phillips when his number was held up by the fourth official.’
- ‘Once animated, there was no stopping him - not even regular lectures from the fourth official.’
- ‘But the fourth official had just signalled five minutes of injury-time when the best happened for Ireland.’
- ‘When the fourth official held up a board showing five minutes of time added on, the home fans started to whistle.’
- ‘Pushing and jostling of the referee, assistant referee and fourth official were out of order.’
- ‘When fourth official Jimmy O'Neill indicated that there would be two minutes injury time, a number of fans began to leave the ground.’
- ‘The substitution was delayed by the fourth official's inability to operate the electronic board throughout the match.’
- ‘This led to his dismissal from the pitch by the fourth official for inciting possible crowd trouble.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.