One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘Well then, sir,’ said Dr Johnson, ‘you see there can be no more than fourscore men of fashion who can do this.’’
- ‘And the days of Isaac were an hundred and fourscore years.’
- ‘In contrast, during the period from 1990 to 2003, NASA flew about fourscore shuttle missions, allowing it to launch and repair the Hubble Space Telescope and partially build what is now known as the International Space Station.’
- ‘The Bible tells us that ‘the days of our years are threescore and ten’ or, ‘by reason of strength,’ sometimes fourscore.’
- ‘No doubt, some of these Californians applauded the fact that a woman who is skirting that mythic age of fourscore still has the wherewithal to perform, and to do it so well.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.