Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Denoting an internal combustion engine having a cycle of four strokes (intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust)Compare with two-stroke
- ‘Power plants for this class of racing are four-stroke engines with a capacity limit of 1 litre with any number of cylinders in any configuration.’
- ‘This was replaced in 1956 by a bigger four-stroke engine offering 297 cubic centimetres of raw power.’
- ‘The combustion chamber of a four-stroke engine is designed to induce turbulence through the addition of ‘squish’ areas in which the top of the piston is the mirror image of a corresponding area of the cylinder head.’
- ‘Because a four-stroke engine burns straight unleaded, as opposed to the typical two-stroke's oil-and-gas mix, it's not only less polluting, but sounds more like a Lexus than a chainsaw.’
- ‘Each of the four major snowmobile manufacturers is producing one or more new models equipped with cleaner, four-stroke engines for 2003.’
- ‘The new model, designed exclusively for India, is powered by a 102 cc air-cooled, four-stroke engine with automatic transmission.’
- ‘The first display showed the insides of a four-stroke engine, clutch assembly, gearbox, propeller shaft and differential gear box.’
- ‘The noise was not appreciably less - perhaps 20 percent - when encountering groups of the newer, four-stroke engine sleds.’
- ‘The latest API code is CI - 4 for the tops in performance for four-stroke diesel engines.’
- ‘The four-stroke engine shows the cross-section of an engine complete with all functions such as fuel intake, ignition, piston compression, exhaust, and so on.’
- ‘Buy one with a four-stroke engine - they emit one-tenth of the pollutants a two-stroke engine emits - and keep it maintained.’
- ‘The two-stroke cylinder head of the 100 cc TVS bike that was converted has been replaced by a new cylinder head, which suits only four-stroke engines.’
- ‘Its 25 cc, single-cylinder, four-stroke engine can power the aircraft at a cruise speed of between 70-90 kph for 8-10 hours.’
- ‘Things just got a little easier with Garelick's motor bracket for four-stroke motors.’
- ‘The Max uses the 498 cc Rotax single cylinder four-stroke engine and Bombardier's Visco-lok traction system.’
- ‘Unlike two-stroke engines that have simple openings or ports for intake and exhaust, four-stroke engines have intake and exhaust valves at each cylinder head.’
- ‘We moved from Stumps to Flemming's Bay, a trip of about five miles, which took less than ten minutes due to Mike having a ninety-horse power, four-stroke engine.’
- ‘In four-stroke engines, one of the strokes is called the compression stroke.’
- ‘Almost all cars currently use what is called a four-stroke combustion cycle to convert gasoline into motion.’
- ‘Most smaller gas powered four-stroke engines tend to run a 30 weight oil.’
- 1.1 Denoting a vehicle having a four-stroke engine.
- ‘It has brought along Eterno, a tough sleek, four-stroke 150-cc scooter with a never-before-seen side-mounted engine designed exclusively for the rough and tough Indian conditions.’
- ‘While these hogged market mindspace, other local products like the 93 cc Byk from Bajaj or the 110 cc four-stroke Freedom bike from LML also carved out a niche in the pie.’
- ‘The premier series has adopted four-stroke 990 cc bikes similar to, but much more advanced than, those in Superbikes, and many of the leading WSB teams and riders have abandoned the series for MotoGP.’
- ‘If achieved, this expedition will ensure the entry of the team - riding Fiero FX 150 cc four-stroke power bikes - in the Guinness Book of World Records.’
- ‘Two-wheeler maker TVS Motor Company has said it plans to replace two-stroke motorcycle ‘Max’ with a four-stroke entry-level motorcycle within six months to arrest the erosion in sales.’
- ‘Two-stroke motorcycles should pay more pollution tax than four-stroke motorcycles and Euro2 compliant cars should pay no taxes at all.’
- ‘The race was split into four categories 50 cc, four-stroke motorcycles up to 180 cc, novice riders on two-stroke bikes and 100 to 135 cc for the experienced.’
A four-stroke engine or vehicle.
- ‘On the other hand, four-strokes are generally suited to applications appropriate to the lower horsepower range.’
- ‘I've just bought a Honda four-stroke, the Rolls Royce of mowers.’
- ‘It weighs just slightly more than a comparable two stroke, a major break-through because just a few years ago, marine techies said four-strokes were unlikely to ever go higher than 100 hp.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.