One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(of a building or structure) having a square shape and solid appearance.
- ‘Bohlin used a basic four-square layout, positioning rooms symmetrically around the cast concrete monolith.’
- ‘Low, massive, four-square steel sculptures are arranged in a grid.’
- ‘Nothing remains of these early structures and the present massive, four-square castle-palace dates back to the reign of Charles V.’
- ‘It is just too blocky, too bulky, a very four-square building.’
- 1.1 (of a person or quality) firm and resolute.‘a four-square and formidable hero’
determined, purposeful, purposive, resolved, decided, adamant, single-minded, firm, unswerving, unwavering, undaunted, fixed, set, intent, insistentresolute, determined, full of determination, purposeful, purposive, resolved, decided, adamant, single-minded, firm, unswerving, unswervable, unwavering, undaunted, fixed, set, intent, insistentView synonyms
- ‘Like its predecessor, Stingray was built around some very simple elements - a four-square hero, a fantastic craft which lends its name to the show and a mix of fast-paced action and innocent humour.’
1Squarely and solidly.‘a castle standing four-square and isolated on a peninsula’
- ‘Einstein is four-square in the camp of Bernoulli and de Moivre.’
- ‘This bill delivers four-square on our promise to protect public access and clarify ownership.’
- ‘The tradition stands four-square against it, on all fronts.’
- 1.1 Firmly and resolutely in support of someone or something.‘they stand four-square behind integration’
- ‘She says she was four-square behind the campaign to wring as much money from the clubs as possible in order to help fund players in the lower leagues who fall on hard times.’
- ‘As a result, he is now four-square behind the controversial plan under which smokers in bars would have to step outside if they wanted to light up.’
- ‘But now the club is defiantly back on its own two feet and is standing four-square to enter a new headquarters, which is hoped will signal a new era of success.’
- ‘All of the four major-party candidates are four-square in favor of executing.’
- ‘I stand four-square for reason, and object to what seems to me to be irrationality, whatever the source.’
- ‘This year's only new theme is corporate corruption - which everybody's four-square against.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.