One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having four dimensions, typically the three dimensions of space (length, breadth, and depth) plus time.
- ‘It's also possible to picture each card as a point in four-dimensional space, where each of a point's four coordinates assumes one of three possible values.’
- ‘For the extreme pathway matrix of this system, there are four singular values, indicating a four-dimensional cone residing in the nine-dimensional flux space.’
- ‘Still later, in Los Angeles, he lectured as a ‘World-Famous Mystic’ on prophecy, vision, cosmic consciousness, and four-dimensional space.’
- ‘In the Theory of Relativity, time is no more an independent physical quantity - it is linked with space in four-dimensional space-time.’
- ‘Is time just a fourth dimension which, together with the three dimensions of space, helps to comprise a unitary four-dimensional manifold in which all physical objects and events somehow reside?’
- ‘The theory that Paul described in particular involves a four-dimensional space plus one time dimension, which he called the bulk.’
- ‘Unlike ordinary three-dimensional objects, these shapes live in four-dimensional - or higher - space and curve in on themselves as the sphere and torus do in three-dimensional space.’
- ‘Mathematicians also study what they call the three-dimensional sphere - the set of all points a given distance from a center in four-dimensional space.’
- ‘To discover significant elements in any given sociocultural system of body language, we need to start with the physical and logical possibilities and impossibilities of the human body in four-dimensional space.’
- ‘I like to know my place in four-dimensional space.’
- ‘In 1908, one of Einstein's mathematics lecturers, Hermann Minkowski, presented relativity theory in geometric form - in the four-dimensional geometry of space and time.’
- ‘One could imagine that, as a consequence of the dynamics, the extra six dimensions form a small compact space attached to each point in ordinary four-dimensional space-time.’
- ‘Fortunately, in living systems certain conditions must be fulfilled for three-dimensional bodies to occur in four-dimensional space.’
- ‘But the ultimate theory of gravity should explain why the universe is four-dimensional and how those dimensions arose, say researchers trying to unify the theories of quantum mechanics and relativity.’
- ‘What exactly this means is hard to imagine, rather like trying to picture a four-dimensional cube.’
- ‘The full four-dimensional space, or five-dimensional spacetime, is referred to as the bulk.’
- ‘They again use an extra dimension of space, imagining that our world is a three-dimensional ‘brane’ embedded in a four-dimensional space (plus one time dimension, as usual).’
- ‘The real laws and their unchanging constants would exist in the four-dimensional space, and our three-dimensional section of it would not necessarily have unchanging constants associated with it.’
- ‘In classical relativity theory, space-time is a four-dimensional construction wherein the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time are welded together.’
- ‘Thus, the entire geometry of a manifold can be formulated in terms of an atlas, so that it is not necessary to think of the manifold as really being a three dimensional surface lying in a four-dimensional space.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.