Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A home run.
- ‘Elected to the Hall of Fame in 1955, Baker never hit more than a dozen home runs while leading the American League in four-baggers four straight years during the ‘dead ball era.’’
- ‘Until 1995, no player with at least 20 home runs had ever collected more four-baggers than base hits in a single-season.’
- ‘Obviously, this large number of players with 400 or more four-baggers is mainly due to the home run explosion of the past five years.’
- ‘Carpenter is actually giving up fewer four-baggers in 2005 than at any point in his career.’
- ‘But how can one account for the rash of four-baggers in today's game?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.