One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female founder.‘she was the sixth-century foundress of a community of women’
- ‘Investment preservation may also increase with the number of foundresses remaining on a colony, because of the increased likelihood that a foundress will be present to preserve past investments.’
- ‘Nests become social if a second foundress successfully usurps the nest with the original foundress remaining in the nest as a nonreproductive guard (if she leaves, the nest remains solitary).’
- ‘Relative to the foundress, soldiers have an enlarged prothorax and fore femora, reduced wings and antennae, and a pale exoskeleton.’
- ‘The relative importance of LMC and of inbreeding depends on the number of foundresses that oviposit in a local patch.’
- ‘There is evidence that pedicels of ovaries containing wasps grow more than those that do not, but pedicel length at wasp maturity is probably still a good indicator of ovary position when foundresses oviposit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.