One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pitched ball that tips off the bat and travels directly to the catcher's hands. Unlike a foul ball, a foul tip can be a batter's third strike.
- ‘They take all kinds of abuse - they block balls, they get bashed by foul tips.’
- ‘Dent hopped around home plate, stung by the force of the foul tip.’
- ‘A dramatic smash may be good for four or six runs, but playing a ball off the edge of the bat, like a foul tip, can be just as effective.’
- ‘It is not a foul tip unless it is caught, and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play.’
- ‘He cited the same reasons that many other catchers have for why they will squat on every pitch, sweat in all that gear and absorb foul tips and baserunners.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.