One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Be put out of the game for exceeding the permitted number of fouls.
- ‘After a few more trips up and down the floor, I picked up my fourth and fifth fouls, causing me to foul out in just over 5 minutes of play.’
- ‘James ended the game with only three fouls; a player fouls out of the game with his sixth.’
- ‘When Indiana played Phoenix two years ago, the Mercury had 2 players foul out of the game and two others with 5 fouls.’
- ‘Both Long and Jensen played much of the second half with four fouls, but managed to avoid fouling out.’
- ‘The only MIT player to foul out was Randy Hyun '95, who committed his fifth with two seconds left in the game.’
- 1.1Baseball (of a batter) be made out by hitting a foul ball that is caught by an opposing player.‘Wilson has never fouled out against this young pitcher’
- ‘But reliever Mike Myers got Jose Cruz to foul out, helped by first baseman McCarty, who tracked down the ball in the bullpen, and Jorge Cantu to ground to second.’
- ‘In the second frame, Steve Garvey fouled out to the catcher,’
- ‘It turned out, that Snider walked, Musial grounded out to second, Hodges popped out to second and the fourth batter fouled out to catcher Yogi Berra.’
- ‘Waechter struck out Martinez, walked John Olerud, loading the bases, and got out of the jam when Mike Cameron fouled out to C Toby Hall.’
- ‘Rivera surrendered two runs on five hits before finally getting Carlos Beltran to foul out to Jorge Posada with the bases loaded to close out the Yankees’ 11-8 victory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.