One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A natural fuel such as coal or gas, formed in the geological past from the remains of living organisms.
- ‘An important alternative to fertiliser from fossil fuel is biosolids recovered from sewage.’
- ‘The second most prominent and naturally most abundant fossil fuel is coal.’
- ‘Mr Rice said growing fuel crops to displace fossil fuel would reduce CO2 emissions without cuts in farm output.’
- ‘The surge in crude prices has prompted oil companies to boost exploration activities to discover more of the fossil fuel.’
- ‘But when it comes to a situation where we are importing carrots from Holland, think of all the fossil fuel that this uses.’
- ‘It is history, a fossil burning fossil fuel, yet it lives.’
- ‘Our economy depends so much on fossil fuel that a lack of oil without any alternative fuel sources would lead to total chaos.’
- ‘It is a quagmire that eventually, under pressure for a million years or so, becomes a fossil fuel.’
- ‘Where are the corporate insiders with brains enough to convert the resource of fossil fuel into new products?’
- ‘Natural gas is a clean alternative to oil, although it's also a fossil fuel and has its own problems.’
- ‘They die from our dependence on a fossil fuel - guzzling, outmoded means of transportation.’
- ‘Otherwise, the only fossil fuel they consume is the paraffin they put in their lamps.’
- ‘Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel, producing mostly just water vapor and carbon dioxide.’
- ‘Shale oil is a fossil fuel, extracted from shale rocks through heat.’
- ‘We now use half of our fossil fuel to light, heat and cool buildings and we should do something about it.’
- ‘So burning coal or oil, which releases carbon from when the fossil fuel was formed, has a serious global warming effect.’
- ‘This fossil fuel could thus have been stored easily in 3,000 years at the present global growth rates.’
- ‘It is a subsidised fossil fuel, and the Maui gasfield, unsurprisingly, is running out.’
- ‘It is made from plant products, not fossil fuel, which means it is renewable.’
- ‘The fossil fuel burned by a passing car becomes a Palaeolithic thought bubble in the present.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.