Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Favoring innovation and development; progressive.
progressive, enlightened, go-ahead, dynamic, pushing, bold, modern, enterprising, ambitious, pioneering, progressivist, positive, reforming, radical, liberalView synonyms
- ‘Now isn't that a venue for a modern, forward-looking party?’
- ‘They are a very hospitable, progressive, and forward-thinking people, and I wish them luck.’
- ‘Naomi was no worse, and she conveyed to the world that we were a forward-looking, progressive congregation.’
- ‘And it's a sad day when such a forward-thinking and innovative organisation ends up getting to the party when all the decent names have gone.’
- ‘Redundancies were regrettable, but a necessary part of a forward-looking modern economy.’
- ‘So, the immediate task at hand is to create an image of the State as a positive and forward-looking one.’
- ‘While at once forward-looking, a progressive movement is also well rooted in the historic tides of reform in America.’
- ‘It's up to the local farmers how progressive and forward-thinking they want to be.’
- ‘Investors want to locate in an area which is forward-looking and progressive.’
- ‘In one decision, he is progressively democratic and forward-looking.’
- ‘They would have been remembered not as forward-thinking reformers - but as mindless cultural vandals.’
- ‘A bright sunny morning with clear blue skies - perfect for producing the positive and forward-looking mood that I need.’
- ‘At the tender age of nine he was well aware of how extraordinarily lucky he had been and has since made a point of being determinedly positive and forward-looking.’
- ‘In a dynamic and forward-looking Europe, there were new audiences for music and an appetite for novelty.’
- ‘That's what you might do if you were an enlightened, forward-looking, liberal government.’
- ‘To be progressive and forward-looking is all that counts.’
- ‘And to an extent, some forward-thinking pioneers already have made their foray into this new frontier.’
- ‘I just need to think my way through it and come to a positive, constructive and forward-looking conclusion.’
- ‘Here is the forward-looking, modern and internationalist Sweden.’
- ‘A quiet, retiring man, Dominick was a progressive and forward-thinking farmer, and was highly thought-of by all who knew him.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.