One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjective & adverb
- ‘Over the last 15 years, occurrences of S. enteritidis food poisoning have increased fourfold in the United States and fortyfold in Europe.’
- ‘The argument should also be put to Genesis Power, a State-owned enterprise whose 2003-04 rates bill has increased fortyfold.’
- ‘The gap between the richest and poorest one-fifths of the world is now about onehundredfold, whereas 30 years ago it was about thirtyfold or fortyfold.’
- ‘The researchers increased the current fortyfold by decreasing the humidity from 20 per cent to zero.’
- ‘That is a fortyfold acceleration in the population growth rate, and there is no precedent for that.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.