One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Abandon (someone or something)‘he would never forsake Tara’
abandon, desert, leave, quit, depart from, leave behind, leave high and dry, turn one's back on, cast aside, give up, reject, disownabandoned, deserted, jilted, stranded, discarded, shunned, renounced, betrayed, rejected, disowneddesolate, bleak, godforsaken, remote, isolated, sequestered, lonely, solitary, deserted, derelict, dreary, forlorn, uninviting, cheerless, depressing, sadView synonyms
- ‘But at some point in life, you must abandon books, forsake the forewarning words of others, and find out for yourself.’
- ‘Will the one who brought them into the land abandon and forsake them now?’
- ‘The little creature had brought the warmth and security of her childhood back to her for a fleeting moment, and now, once again, she was abandoned and forsaken.’
- ‘Abandoned by their father, forsaken by neighbors, Bolas and the children kept vigil over their mother.’
- ‘If back in '64 the system seemed to have abandoned and forsaken people, what of now?’
- 1.1 Renounce or give up (something valued or pleasant)‘I won't forsake my vegetarian principles’
renounce, give up, relinquish, dispense with, forgo, desist from, forswear, disclaim, disown, disavow, discard, set aside, wash one's hands of, turn one's back on, repudiate, have done withView synonyms
- ‘She forsook her suitors and renounced the comforts of her family home.’
- ‘He definitely needs to cut back, but he doesn't have to forsake his principles to do that.’
- ‘The track counsels people to guard against forsaking their traditional values for foreign ones.’
- ‘But their hi-tech approach doesn't forsake the old values.’
- ‘If you can forsake your fundamental principles for any reason then you are not the kind of person who can take the country forward.’
Old English forsacan ‘renounce, refuse’, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch verzaken, and ultimately to for- and sake.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.