A sensation like insects crawling over the skin.
tingle, tingling sensation, tingling, prickling sensation, chill, thrill, itching, creeping sensation, gooseflesh, goose pimples, pins and needlesView synonyms
- ‘Here the symptoms were epileptic seizures, spastic movements, dance-like twitching, and formication.’
- ‘The sores on the arms are from something called ‘formication’.’
- ‘My limited knowledge tells me it could be connected to the onset of menopause - formication.’
- ‘Pimozide is similar to haloperidol in chemical structure and potency, and has been shown to be uniquely effective in the treatment of this condition, especially in decreasing formication.’
- ‘Itching, tingling, and ‘formication’ (sensation as of crawling insects) are also common symptoms due to bubbles forming in the skin.’
- ‘My understanding is that the word ‘formication’ is used by doctors to imply an imaginary itching.’
- ‘The name for this sensation is formication (with an ‘m’).’
Early 18th century: from Latin formicatio(n-), from formicare crawl like an ant (said of the pulse or skin), from formica ant.