An ant's nest, especially one in an artificial container for purposes of study.
- ‘Keep the formicarium dark, except when you are observing the ants, and even then use as low a light level as possible.’
- ‘The formicarium had been unused over two months so I put some water on the gel and added sugar and soya.’
- ‘Ask students to make observations of the formicarium at specific times and record this information in a class log.’
- ‘There is also a rhesus monkey that answers to the name of Joe, and a glass-enclosed formicarium loaded with ants.’
- ‘In the last month, I had occasionally placed different sorts of food in the formicarium.’
- ‘So many folks have asked about my formicarium that my friend, Ray, has started making them for sale.’
- ‘The queen is in the formicarium now and seems quite busy exploring her new surroundings.’
- ‘While many parents choose to purchase ant farms for their children to use in school science projects, it also possible to create your own formicarium for ant observation.’
Early 19th century: from medieval Latin, from Latin formica ant.