Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of clothing) fitting the body snugly, so that its shape is clearly visible: said of clothing.‘she wore a formfitting dress’
- ‘Her fall/winter collection features strong lines with a feminine twist: dramatic capes, dresses with surprising details, and formfitting suits in rich wines and inky blacks.’
- ‘This is a formfitting Victorian era gown, inspired by the character ‘Satine’ in Moulin Rouge, the movie.’
- ‘Look for formfitting shirts in order to avoid excess fabric when tucking them in and opt for point collars instead of spreads.’
- ‘The helmet that Winston Cup drivers wear consists of an outer shell, a special foam layer in the crown of the helmet and a formfitting inner liner.’
- ‘All three were wearing long black robes, but the women's robes were formfitting.’
- ‘I grabbed tan cargo pants, a dark green formfitting t-shirt, then an olive-green button down that was rather wrinkled from being on the floor.’
- ‘And the formfitting dress she wore only served to emphasize it even more.’
- ‘Lightweight, stretchy, and formfitting, they make perfect classroom practice gear.’
- ‘After the interval the soloist had changed from her strapless, formfitting glittering blue to a classical, double-tiered dress in subdued pastels.’
- ‘Dressed stylishly in a tight beige turtleneck and a long formfitting black skirt, she looked casual yet elegant.’
- ‘I propped myself up on my elbows as she turned around and walked towards the entrance and I noticed that she was now wearing a pair of loose fatigues, and a formfitting gray tank top.’
- ‘Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is formfitting.’
- ‘I pulled out my formal wardrobe that I almost never wore, and after two hours of agonizing decided on formfitting gray khaki pants, and a deep blue-green turtleneck sweater which turned my eyes that color to match.’
- ‘Those P.E. shorts from high school are too small now, and they are formfitting in the worst possible way.’
- ‘She was wearing a strapless rose-colored gown that was formfitting at the top and had a flowing chiffon skirt.’
- ‘Working out of her Salt Lake City home, Chambers made formfitting shorts, synthetic mats, wooden blocks, and other equipment for enlightenment seekers.’
- ‘She was wearing black stretchy formfitting pants with a lime green tube top.’
- ‘For more than 30 years, this quaint little Victorian-themed resort at the southern tip of New Jersey said no to ‘skintight, formfitting or bikini type’ bathing attire on males over the age of 12.’
- ‘Delicately frayed shirts, skirts and dresses are formfitting and highlight the womanly curves we've been blessed with.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.