One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing, such as tuxedos and evening gowns, for formal social occasions.
- ‘Forget about formalwear and join in a bit of cactus and barrels.’
- ‘What's the latest trend in formalwear and what kind of tuxedo would you recommend?’
- ‘He's pretty set on everyone wearing a tartan, so plain formalwear is out, unless, again, I'm trying to make a statement.’
- ‘Well, you can wait for the autobiography or you can come with me to shop for formalwear.’
- ‘The boy was smartly dressed in formalwear for the occasion but the effect was ruined by his messy sandy hair.’
- ‘She has teamed up with one of her former Academy classmates, Diana Calma, and is designing elegant custom-tailored formalwear for her clients.’
- ‘After all, what massive percentage of ‘classical’ performances involve people in formalwear on stage with nicely-polished instruments, an expensive venue, expensive tickets, wine, etc.?’
- ‘Many people probably said hello to Mary Vidler during the week when they went to pick up formalwear for the Business Awards.’
- ‘In terms of budget, you should expect to pay anywhere between $50 for a conventional tuxedo to $200 for top-notch designer formalwear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.