One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Clothing, such as tuxedos and evening gowns, for formal social occasions.
- ‘After all, what massive percentage of ‘classical’ performances involve people in formalwear on stage with nicely-polished instruments, an expensive venue, expensive tickets, wine, etc.?’
- ‘He's pretty set on everyone wearing a tartan, so plain formalwear is out, unless, again, I'm trying to make a statement.’
- ‘Forget about formalwear and join in a bit of cactus and barrels.’
- ‘In terms of budget, you should expect to pay anywhere between $50 for a conventional tuxedo to $200 for top-notch designer formalwear.’
- ‘Well, you can wait for the autobiography or you can come with me to shop for formalwear.’
- ‘The boy was smartly dressed in formalwear for the occasion but the effect was ruined by his messy sandy hair.’
- ‘She has teamed up with one of her former Academy classmates, Diana Calma, and is designing elegant custom-tailored formalwear for her clients.’
- ‘What's the latest trend in formalwear and what kind of tuxedo would you recommend?’
- ‘Many people probably said hello to Mary Vidler during the week when they went to pick up formalwear for the Business Awards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.