One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless solution of formaldehyde in water, used chiefly as a preservative for biological specimens.
- ‘The tissue specimens were fixed and preserved in formalin for histopathological evaluation.’
- ‘Dead snakes brought to the hospital were labelled and preserved in 10% formalin or 70% ethanol.’
- ‘All specimens were fixed in formalin, embedded in paraffin, and cut in 5-em-thick sections.’
- ‘Sitting in the corner of the tank room is a new wooden box that contains about 3,800 litres of a nasty liquid made from a mixture of formalin and salt water.’
- ‘Specimens were placed in formalin, fixed overnight, stained with hematoxylin and eosin, embedded in paraffin, and cut with a microtome.’
- ‘The specimen was fixed in 10% buffered formalin and routinely processed.’
- ‘The specimens were fixed in formalin for histological analysis.’
- ‘Tissue samples from the spleen were fixed in buffered formalin and embedded in paraffin.’
- ‘Also known as Zenker-formol, this is a modification of Zenker's fluid in which formalin is substituted for acetic acid.’
- ‘The specimens were fixed in formalin, and paraffin sections were stained with hematoxylin-eosin and saffron.’
- ‘These lung tissues were inflated by injection of 10% buffered formalin and embedded in paraffin wax.’
- ‘The specimens were fixed in formalin and embedded in paraffin.’
- ‘At this time the tumor was excised and placed in a 2% formalin solution.’
- ‘Other chemicals Spry discussed include peracetic acid, hydrogen peroxide, formalin, and methyl methacrylate.’
- ‘Earthworms are collected by extraction using formalin or mustard solution, by digging and by handsorting.’
- ‘All surgical specimens were fixed in formalin and examined with hematoxylin-eosin stain.’
- ‘Gonads from fresh material were fixed in Bouin's solution or buffered 10% formalin.’
- ‘The liver biopsy specimens were fixed in 10% neutral-buffered formalin and embedded in paraffin.’
- ‘Tissue samples are preserved in formalin or occasionally other fixatives before processing and embedding in paraffin.’
- ‘Liver tumors were sampled at random and fixed in buffered formalin, and embedded sections were stained with hematoxylin and eosin.’
Late 19th century: from formaldehyde + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.