Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A standardized letter to deal with frequently occurring matters.
- ‘It is noteworthy that his Lordship does not believe that a standard form letter, without more, is sufficient.’
- ‘Reasons contained in a standard form letter issued by the Welfare Department justifying its rejection or cancellation of thousands of disability grants were declared invalid by the high court here yesterday.’
- ‘It's a form letter, which others have received too.’
- ‘The Peak provided students with a handy form letter that could be cut out and sent to the solicitor general of Canada, urging him to reconsider the cancellation of the program.’
- ‘Calling or corresponding with someone if they have come in for an interview is manageable, but to write a letter, even a form letter, to every applicant is almost a full-time position.’
- ‘The request or requirement was in a standard form letter offering the men the posts, dated 21st March.’
- ‘Sometimes, it would simply inform people in a standard form letter that they were ‘not disabled’, or ‘condition is treatable’.’
- ‘They put the privacy commissioner onto it and I received a form letter saying they investigated it.’
- ‘What I think Glenn is missing here is that there is a difference between sending a form letter to your congressman and to your local newspaper.’
- ‘They finally, grudgingly, found a form letter they sent to commanding officers when members of the military would be late.’
- ‘It was not a form letter, it was a personal email.’
- ‘The other was a form letter from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA, otherwise known as the joke factory), closing the file on the little blue Ford.’
- ‘Westpac sent out a form letter explaining how they'd be putting up the interest rate on the loan (a lot faster than when they have to reduce it).’
- ‘Following receipt of a standard form letter dated 31 October in which the ERO announced his intention to include the Claimant in the 2001 Register, the Claimant wrote again on 3 November expressing his objection.’
- ‘I mainly delete those or send back a form letter Logan helped me write.’
- ‘A few weeks later, you'd get a form letter which appeared to be from Santa himself.’
- ‘The page includes a form letter that you can send as is or personalized.’
- ‘And that's the form letter that people can sign?’
- ‘I forgot to mention that in my first form letter.’
- ‘A few months after we complete and file the paperwork, the friend gets an unfriendly form letter from INS requesting a lot more information.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.