One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘However, having struggled with the nuances of the American language, I have found it more beneficial to adapt to my alien environment rather than advertise my foreignness with a pint of beer and a fresh rendition of ‘Rule Britannia’.’
- ‘The foreignness sharpened his wonderful gift for description, the intensely alive portrayal of character, what he called ‘the experience of the encounter’.’
- ‘There was this very basic familiarity - and then utter foreignness.’
- ‘But the fact that they were able to make their displeasure felt in a way that deterred further crackdowns is a testament not to their foreignness but to their newfound political clout.’
- ‘You can be born in Swindon and still have that sense of slight foreignness, alienation and critical detachment from the society in which you live; a sense that is essential to being an intellectual.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.