One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bill of exchange payable in another country.
- ‘If foreign bills of exchange may thus be the subject of State regulation, much more so may contracts of insurance against loss by fire.’
- ‘I know it says it could be done with some foreign bills but I still feel left in the dark.’
- ‘On the other hand, the foreign bill on imported goods dropped by 3.1 percent to $3.882 billion from $4.008 billion.’
- ‘This was an action of assumpsit founded on the second of a foreign bill of exchange, by the endorsee against the endorser, for non-acceptance.’
- ‘Meanwhile, as foreign bills have been increasingly accepted in Japan and there has been an increasing demand for bill receiving/dispensing machines in foreign countries, an installation capable of handling not only Japanese Yen bills but also foreign bills has been demanded.’
- ‘By being brought from the coffers of the bank, besides, it lost all the other advantages of bank money; its security, its easy and safe transferability, its use in paying foreign bills of exchange.’
- ‘Does anyone know how costly it is to cash a foreign bill of exchange (in this particular case, it is issued in China by Bank of China and denominated in Euros, and I want to cash it at a bank in Munich).’
- ‘Section 182 mentions ‘foreign bills of exchange and letters of credit’ that are ‘drawn in but payable out of the Philippines.’’
- ‘Colonial merchants did make use of domestic and foreign bills of exchange, but it was nearly impossible to convert these financial instruments into cash during periods of stringency.’
- ‘Another method by which the B.U.S. sought to protect the general system of bank inflation was by buying and selling domestic and foreign bills of exchange.’
- ‘This is an action on a foreign bill of exchange by the payees against the acceptor.’
- ‘To thumb through a wad of foreign bills and sift through what's probably a 10-pound coin collection brings back memories of all the ports the ship visited and what I bought to come back with all that change.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.