One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(in tennis and other racket sports) a stroke played with the palm of the hand facing in the direction of the stroke.as modifier ‘a good forehand drive’
- ‘The cable fly is also a great exercise for racket sports such as tennis, racquetball, squash and badminton when executing the forehand stroke.’
- ‘A slice of fortune and a rasping forehand drive earns the Moroccan three break points.’
- ‘Behind the pavilion, tennis players traded forehands and backhands on the red courts that spread beneath the canopy of trees in the Edinburgh Gardens.’
- ‘At the same time, I wanted her right forearm to roll over as if she were hitting a forehand topspin shot in tennis.’
- ‘Batting in softball, teeing off in golf and hitting a forehand in tennis also require the type of muscle conditioning provided by this exercise.’
2The part of a horse in front of the saddle.
- ‘Some horses never completely catch up and stay built downhill, or what we call on their forehand, their whole lives.’
- ‘Keep your balance back off their forehand, in order to help them lift their front end.’
- ‘It will then never be able to get light on the forehand as it is being taught the opposite.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.