Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The finger next to the thumb; the first or index finger.
- ‘Reaching down, I clasped both zippers with my thumbs and forefingers and pulled them until they met.’
- ‘They touch the knuckle of the forefinger on their right hand to their foreheads in salute.’
- ‘After I sat down, I was checking out the tablecloth and feeling it between my left thumb and forefingers, where it hung down over the edge about eight inches.’
- ‘For example, he cannot oppose his right forefinger and thumb and can only, with difficulty, touch his mouth with his hand.’
- ‘Grip the club with pressure in the last three fingers of each hand, but with no pressure in the thumbs and forefingers.’
- ‘Hold the floss taut between your thumbs and forefingers and gently guide a two-inch section between your teeth.’
- ‘She looked down at her left hand, the forefinger and thumb tattooed with gold, in a design much like a Signature.’
- ‘He brought his hands together and intertwined the back six fingers with each other, putting the thumbs and forefingers into a rectangle.’
- ‘He was sitting down on a chair, elbows on his knees, his hands were clasped with his chin resting on his thumb and his forefingers extended, touching the tip of his nose.’
- ‘He leaned back and sighed deeply, rubbing his temples with his forefingers and thumbs.’
- ‘I pointed a forefinger to my forehead, then drew my finger across my lips, as he had.’
- ‘Upon reaching the bottom position of triceps pushdowns, carefully shift pressure from the center of your palms to the crux of your thumbs and forefingers.’
- ‘Spend some time massaging the forefinger and thumb of each hand - this will improve your stamina and vitality.’
- ‘And scarily, just as I thought that, I felt myself being lifted out of my seat by a pair of lightly tanned, strong hands, with little black stars tattooed between the thumb and forefingers.’
- ‘Slowly they held their hands out but only with their forefinger and thumb extended.’
- ‘He gently took her chin between his forefinger and his thumb and raised it so she could look him in the eyes.’
- ‘If I put my hand really close to my face, I can squish the land between my forefinger and my thumb.’
- ‘He holds up his hand, the little finger and the forefinger extended.’
- ‘Get someone to show you how to eat like the Moroccans using your thumb, two forefingers, and a piece of fresh-baked flatbread.’
- ‘Disorderly adolescents made coarse gestures with their thumbs and forefingers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.