One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
verb[no object]Ice Hockey
Play an aggressive style of defense, checking opponents in their own defensive zone, before they can organize an attack.
- ‘The thought there is that teams are reluctant to forecheck against a goaltender who basically acts as a third defenseman and can move the puck up the ice very efficiently.’
- ‘He consistently works hard, forechecking and backchecking every shift.’
- ‘They forecheck aggressively and try to force mistakes.’
- ‘They are the same: they come out strong, they forecheck hard, they play a sound defensive game.’
- ‘The Sabres rarely forechecked aggressively, and Peca's biggest job was usually to shut down the opponent's top center.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.