Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The second section of a sailing ship's foremast.
- ‘During the race, however, the Walters lost its foretopmast and fell behind.’
- ‘She was a small fast and shallow draft centerboard schooner and her rig except for foretopmasts and yankee was identical to the Shrewsbury Packets.’
- ‘Her foretopmast had snapped in the middle-just as it had done on her first run two years before!’
- ‘The following morning the foretopmast was found to be chafed through, and in the afternoon the foretopsail was split.’
- ‘The Macedonian's mizzenmast was gone, her main and foretopmasts carried away, her main yard cut in two, and her ensign had disappeared.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.