One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The outer vertical edge of the pages of a book.as modifier ‘fore-edge paintings had been put on books for centuries’
- ‘For the temporary display of your fore-edge painted book, we have available an ingenious wooden book press.’
- ‘Fore-edge paintings are watercolour decorations, painted on the ends of the pages of the fore-edge of a book.’
- ‘The flap on the right folds over to protect the fore-edge of the leaves; the book you hold in your hands, like modern books in general, lacks this amenity.’
- ‘For sometime now I've been delighting in hardback books with untrimmed fore-edges - making the book look and feel old; wonderful and priceless to the touch.’
- ‘The edge of a book furthest from its back strip is the fore-edge and they can come uncut (pages that are stuck and need to be cut open) or untrimmed (the fore-edges of pages deliberately left uneven).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.