One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The rivers, though generally fordable in places, afforded the Russian defenses a great advantage by channeling the German advances into more predictable routes.’
- ‘In favourable seasons it is fordable during the rains; but as a rule bamboo rafts, supported on earthen vessels, are used for crossing.’
- ‘As a defensive structure it would have been continuous, as the river is easily fordable.’
- ‘He did not bother to see that the river was fordable in many places.’
- ‘Before establishing control in Britain, the Romans probably forded the Thames in the area of modern-day Westminster, as this was the lowest fordable point in the river.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.