1Unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract.
force of circumstance, pressure of circumstance, need, obligation, call, exigencyView synonyms
- ‘Eni SpA has declared force majeure on shipments from its Ogbainbiri oil flow station in Nigeria after the facility was attacked on Sunday, an Eni spokeswoman said.’
- ‘BHP Billiton said it had declared force majeure on coal exports from its Mt Arthur mine after the savage storms.’
- ‘A spokesman for the company said the declaration of force majeure would only apply to new ships about to join a queue of about 55 vessels waiting off the port to be loaded.’
- ‘Coal producer Coal & Allied Industries Ltd has declared force majeure on a number of its sales contracts following severe storms in the Hunter region of New South Wales.’
- ‘Industry sources said on Monday that both BHP and Rio had declared force majeure following severe flooding.’
2Irresistible compulsion or greater force.coercion, compulsion, constraint, duress, oppression, enforcement, harassment, intimidation, threats, pressure, pressurization, influenceView synonyms
Late 19th century: French, literally greater force.