One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘It is played out with unimpeachable integrity and care, but a sudden switchback in the narrative turns everything forbiddingly and even frustratingly dark and means that much of the movie's inner emotional life is amputated.’
- ‘Not that he seems to have much time for books, surfing or other diversions: ‘What is permissible and forbidden is clarified here,’ he declares rather forbiddingly.’
- ‘The main conclusions extend over barely 6 pages of her 37 page essay, but to deal with them here would, I fear, make what I feel is already a forbiddingly long post impossible.’
- ‘Not only too tall, they also cut off other lower Manhattan neighborhoods from one another with their barrier-like raised plaza, forbiddingly deserted at night and on weekends.’
- ‘But if the text at times becomes rebarbatively labyrinthine, the main lines of the argument, while forbiddingly dense, are relatively clear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.