Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Because; since.‘forasmuch as the tree returned to life, so too could Arthur be returned to her’
- ‘And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise.’
- ‘And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.’
- ‘And forasmuch as the charge of immortal souls is so solemn and weighty a thing, let us join together in hearty prayer to Almighty God, that he would vouchsafe his blessing upon this his servant and the people committed to his charge.’
- ‘So that now in him, and by him, every true Christian man may be called a fulfiller of the law: forasmuch as that which their infirmity lacked, Christ's justice hath supplied.’
- ‘Now, forasmuch as princes are not only powerful but rich, according to a number of people (hands being the Father as lands are the Mother or Womb of Wealth), it is no wonder why states by encouraging marriage, advance their own interests.’
Middle English for as much, translating Old French por tant que ‘for so much as’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.