An opening, hole, or passage, especially in a bone.
hole, gap, aperture, space, orifice, vent, slot, window, crack, slit, gash, split, fissure, perforation, cleft, crevice, cut, incision, rent, cavity, cranny, groove, chink, eye, mouthView synonyms
- ‘When multiple openings were present for a foramen, all the openings were measured and used in the calculation of the average size.’
- ‘Structures adjacent to the nasopharynx, such as nerves and vessels, facilitate the infiltration of nasopharyngeal cancer through foramina and fissures, from extracranial to intracranial spaces.’
- ‘Olfactory nerve fibers enter the cranial cavity through foramina in the cribriform plate of the ethmoid bone and synapse on neurons in the olfactory bulb.’
- ‘The premaxilla is the segment of bone from the back of the teeth to the incisor foramen from which the anterior palatal vessels and nerves emerge.’
- ‘Such presentations could result from a primary injury to the brain stem, induced by hyperflexion and hyperextension, or, rarely, from traumatic thrombosis of the vertebral arteries in the foramina of the cervical vertebrae.’
Late 17th century: from Latin, from forare bore a hole.