One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
For the present; until some other arrangement is made.
for now, for the moment, for the present, in the interim, for the nonce, for the meantime, in the meantime, in the meanwhileView synonyms
- ‘A meeting of Skipton Rural Council decided to cease offering council houses for the time being.’
- ‘The tower has been redundant since the 1970s, but it will stay for the time being.’
- ‘Visions of a new car park at a well-loved Lancaster beauty spot have been blocked at least for the time being.’
- ‘It's been good enough for the time being and I haven't been looking actively for a replacement.’
- ‘But there are ways in which the amount liable can be reduced - at least for the time being.’
- ‘This is the review that recommended no more universities in Ireland for the time being.’
- ‘He has decided not to make any attempt to help improve things in his native country for the time being.’
- ‘However, he agreed to continue for the time being until a new secretary was appointed.’
- ‘This all points to a company that intends to remain mutually - owned, for the time being at least.’
- ‘The meeting also raises hopes that job action in the province is finished for the time being.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.