One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without any doubt.‘I don't know for certain’
certainly, for certain, for sure, to be sure, definitely, undoubtedly, without doubt, doubtless, beyond any shadow of a doubt, beyond the shadow of a doubt, indubitably, unquestionably, incontestably, irrefutably, incontrovertibly, undeniably, without fail, inevitably, unavoidablyView synonyms
- ‘One cannot say for certain whether it would reach the proportion which it had in the past decade.’
- ‘We will not know for certain till 2001 when figures on cattle with BSE are collected.’
- ‘We do not know for certain whether heading the ball in soccer may result in chronic cognitive impairment.’
- ‘No one can say for certain whether or not there are further rate rises on the way.’
- ‘One thing is for certain - if this lady blows her top, many will not be happy about it.’
- ‘It's impossible to say for certain whether this girl survived because of her treatment or in spite of it.’
- ‘In bright sunlight, with cameras all around the ground, no one could say for certain what had happened.’
- ‘I can't find any trace of this, so can't for certain say whether it is or isn't true.’
- ‘It is too early to say for certain whether we are on the verge of a major breakthrough.’
- ‘If anything is known for certain, it is only that the deal was virtually inevitable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.