One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1As energetically or enthusiastically as someone can.‘he thumps the drums for all he's worth’
- ‘Let him not worry if he cannot avoid killing the snake, but try for all he is worth to overcome the anger and ill-will of men by his patient endeavour as a first step towards cultivating universal love.’
- ‘Just when things look darkest, there is a glimmer of hope, and the good guy decides he is going to fight for all he is worth to get what he wants.’
- ‘Haircuts have always been something my son is extremely resistive to that he tends to fight for all he is worth.’
2So as to obtain everything one can from someone.‘the youths milked him for all he was worth and then disappeared’
- ‘If you want to experience Beethoven for all he is worth using your best acoustic resources, then you probably will be able to find better recordings of each individual piece.’
- ‘Sue him for all he is worth, and take back every penny you ever gave this scrub of a human.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.