One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adverb & adjective
- nonstandard spelling of forward, used to represent a nautical pronunciation
- ‘At the limit of the 30m visibility, greater amberjack were shoaling around both for'ard sections.’
- ‘Here the passing of Brennan, Cashin, English Hayden and O'Brien in particular had both vision and accuracy, even if the occasional ball for'ard of the half-way line went astray.’
- ‘There is also some accommodation space, and the for'ard section features an enclosed section to protect sailors.’
- ‘And somebody they didn't, they just ignored me, and didn't answer, they just said, ‘Take him to the wardroom, for'ard’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.