Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A support for the feet or a foot, used when sitting.
- ‘Choose furnishings that serve more than one function, such as chests with both storage and seating, large ottomans that serve as coffee tables, footrests and seats and kitchen tables that also work as desks and play areas.’
- ‘Those so called ‘seats’ are actually footrests.’
- ‘He's got this really comfy grey ergonomic chair with a nice footrest and good back support.’
- ‘Pulling up the footrest causes the recliner to lay back.’
- ‘If you were told delivery would take eight weeks and there would be footrests on the chair, then that is what you should get.’
- ‘I see leather straps hanging from silver chains on the armrests and footrests of the chair.’
- ‘He leaned back and put his feet up on the footrest.’
- ‘Sit on a decline bench, hooking your feet under the footrest, knees bent, and lean torso back slightly.’
- ‘I could quite happily curl up under my desk, with my head on my footrest, and sleep like a baby.’
- ‘I have always referred to large, overstuffed seats with no backs (commonly used as footrests these days) as ‘ottomans,’ and I'm sure I'm not alone on this.’
- ‘Where the keyboard is located on a fixed-height surface, raising the seat height to adopt the correct seating position may require the use of a suitable footrest to support the feet.’
- ‘A chaise longue is accompanied by a cube that can be a footrest, a table or seating extension.’
- ‘Kimberly rested her feet on my footrest, so she was parallel to Troy.’
- ‘He placed a foot on the footrest, and lifted himself up towards the drivers cabin.’
- ‘Most reclining chairs were fitted with footrests, some were added when one wished to recline, others permanently attached and recessed in the chair rail, sometimes to be supported by wooden legs or metal braces when in use.’
- ‘If your desk is too high, use a footrest to maintain the correct posture.’
- ‘On the other is the open-air lounge, with a fully stocked bar and comfy Indonesian daybeds with plump throw pillows, and low tables that double as footrests.’
- ‘He sat on an elegant chair and propped his feet on a footrest.’
- ‘She sat back down and placed her feet on the footrest again.’
- ‘Also included in the Movement collection is a selection of stools, recliners, footrests, work surfaces and tables.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.