One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boy employed as a servant.
- ‘Over the years I have accumulated many footboys, slaves, fans and friends all over the world.’
- ‘Then a teenager, Mary was hired out as a footboy to a French woman.’
- ‘Still disguised as a boy, Mary found a job as a footboy to a wealthy French woman living in London.’
- ‘She has closed herself off - sneering at the young lovers, ignoring the footboy and the beggar.’
- ‘At 13, Read was sent to be a footboy to a French woman but she ran off and joined a man-of-war crew still disguised as a man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.